Utah Student 25 Award
Utah Student 25 Award
For the past 7 years the Utah Student 25 has been recognizing some of the top entrepreneurs in the state of Utah before anyone else. This award will provide excellent recognition from the community and from the UVEF board which is made up of the top seed stage venture capitalists in Utah.
Some of our winners have gone on to raise large amounts of venture capital, some have appeared on Shark Tank, some have had major success on Kickstart, and some have built large Utah companies.
We will be holding an event to recognize the winners on April 28th from 6:00-8:00pm at the Salt Mine. The Utah Student 25 award is being held in collaboration with the Beehive Startups and University Growth Fund.
Former winners have included:
While rankings are based on the business’ performance, participation is based on a “participant(s)-business” set. The word “participant” refers to the student founder(s) associated with a business. To be eligible for Utah Student 25, a participant- business set must meet the following criteria:
The Utah Student 25 awards program is geared toward students that have started businesses while primarily engaged in furthering their education. Accordingly:
- Participants must have graduated during 2014 or be undergraduate or graduate degree-seeking students enrolled at an institution for higher education within the State of Utah during the academic year in which the program is completed. Final determination, if necessary, of a participant’s enrollment status and submission acceptability will be made by the Utah Student 25.
- A participant must have played a major role in conceiving the business and have a key management role in the business; in general, one of the participants should be CEO, COO, or President of the business, or the participants should occupy together 50% or more of the functional area management positions that report directly to the CEO, COO, or President.
- Participants together must own a significant equity stake in the business. Participants should own 50% or more of the equity allocated to the management team and key advisors. An equity position of less than 50% of the equity allocated to the management team and key advisors, and/or less than 20% of the total equity of the business, may cause the Utah Student 25 to require the participants to show evidence that they were true founders of the business and are now key to its success.
- The business must be for-profit and independent: in other words, not a subsidiary or a division of a larger firm with other revenue-generating operations. Non-profit businesses are not eligible. All types of businesses—including sole proprietorships, partnerships, limited liability companies, and corporations—are eligible for participation.
- The business must be headquartered in Utah.
- The business must be no more than five (5) years old, which shall specifically mean that it must not have been founded or have been revenue-generating prior to January 01, 2010.
- The business must have been founded while its participant(s) was (were) enrolled in a (1) high school anywhere or (2) college/university located in Utah.
- The business must have been founded on or before June 30, 2014. Businesses that were founded on or after July 1, 2014, will be allowed to participate, but will only be considered for the Emerging Startup category.
- If the business operates under multiple names (sometimes referred to as a “DBA”) under one specific business, there can only be one submission for the business—the DBAs may not be individually submitted.
The Utah Student 25 reserves the right to reject or disqualify any application or participant if such application or participant:
- Violates any local, state or national law.
- Violates any intellectual property rights.
- Contains content that could be objectionable or offensive to Utah Student 25 in the Utah Student 25’s sole discretion. For example, companies promoting or making available any pornography or sexual-related products or services, controlled substances, or gambling will not be allowed to participate in the Utah Student 25.
- Fails to meet the eligibility criteria as described above or as may be established from time to time.
Additionally, questions of eligibility in the Utah Student 25 may be evaluated by the Utah Student 25 at any time and for any reason. The Utah Student 25 reserves the right to refuse participation based on content, purpose, organization, level of professionalism, or any other criteria that may be established from time to time. The Utah Student 25 reserves the right to interpret, change and/or modify these eligibility criteria at any time and for any reason.